Burns Harbor, Indiana
New Walking Beam Furnaces
Client / Owner
Graycor Industrial Constructors was awarded the mechanical, structural and piping installation of ArcelorMittal’s Nos. 4 and 5 Walking Beam Reheat Furnaces at the west end of its 80″ Hot Strip Mill within the Burns Harbor facility. The two new furnaces will weigh a combined 2,670 tons (including skids and posts, without refractory).
During several phases, and without interruption to the plant’s steel production operations, Graycor’s team is performing the following work:
- Installation of the furnace proper for both furnaces (includes combustion air piping, natural gas piping and a waste gas system)
- Installation of a depiler, charge tables and rolls, charge end and discharge equipment, balance of waste gas system, recuperators and balance of piping for the No. 4 Furnace
- Refractory, insulation and painting
Self-perform work includes all structural, mechanical and piping work, equipment setting, platforms and scaffolding. Subcontracted work includes refractory, insulation and jacketing, painting and surveying.
Additional quantities for the project include:
- Waste Gas Duct, Recuperators and Stacks – 1,024 tons
- Charge/Discharge Machines – 896 tons
- Charge Tables and Depiler – 68 tons
- Platforms – 551 tons
- Piping – 794 tons (61,485 LF)